. Legal | Newborns | Manitoba Parent Zone | Healthy Child Manitoba


dad holding baby

From birth certificates to Social Insurance Numbers (SIN), once you have a child there are many documents you will want to obtain. If you are parenting on your own, you may want legal advice on obtaining child support or custody issues. Or you may be in a situation where you need information about child access/custody protection programs or family law. More detailed information:

  • Human Rights and Reasonable Accommodations – The Human Rights Code is Manitoba's provincial human rights law. It protects individuals and groups in Manitoba from discrimination and is administered by the Manitoba Human Rights Commission.


  • Birth Certificate Information – Find out who is entitled to receive certificates.
  • Passports for Children
  • Registering a Birth in Manitoba – Every child born in Manitoba must be registered with Vital Statistics Agency within five days of the birth or before the baby leaves the health facility. As of July 1, 2011, Vital Statistics Agency, Canada Revenue Agency and Service Canada introduce the Integrated Birth Registration process to Manitoba. This means that parents can choose to apply for Canada Child Benefits or a Social Insurance Number (SIN) for their baby when they complete the Registration of Birth form.
  • Social Insurance Number Information – How to apply for a SIN.

Child Access

Child Support & Maintenance

When a relationship ends, parental financial obligations continue to ensure the well-being of the child.

Family Justice

  • Family Court Frequently Asked Questions
  • Family Justice Links – Includes information about family law, the Public Trustee, the Maintenance Enforcement Program, the Chief Medical Examiner and Legal Aid Manitoba.
  • Family Law Booklet – Divorce, child access/custody, child support payments and child protection all fall under family law provisions.
  • How to Find a Lawyer – This service provides general legal information over the phone as well as referrals to other law-related agencies.

Legal Aid

Separation & Divorce

Separation and divorce can be a time of confusion, sorrow and pain for all members of the family. Find resources here.


With a baby joining your family, it's very important to make sure you have an up-to-date will. You will need to name a guardian in your will to be responsible for your child's care in the event that both parents die. More information on wills in Manitoba:

top of page